[llvm-dev] [Debuginfo][DWARF][LLD] Remove obsolete debug info in lld.

Alexey Lapshin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 10 05:15:23 PDT 2020

Hi Jonas,

Thank you for the comments, please find my answers below...

On 06.08.2020 20:39, Jonas Devlieghere wrote:
> Hi Alexey,
>
> I should've looked at this earlier. I went through the thread again
> and I've
> made some comments, mostly from the dsymutil point of view.
>
> > Current DWARFEmitter/DWARFStreamer has an implementation for DWARF
> > generation, which does not support DWARF5(only debug_names table).
> At the
> > same time, there already exists code in CodeGen/AsmPrinter/DwarfDebug.h,
> > which implements most of DWARF5. It seems that
> DWARFEmitter/DWARFStreamer
> > should be rewritten using DwarfDebug/DwarfFile. Though I am not sure
> > whether it would be easy to re-use DwarfDebug/DwarfFile. It would
> probably
> > be necessary to separate some intermediate level of
> DwarfDebug/DwarfFile.
>
> These classes serve very different purposes. Last time I looked at
> them there
> was very little overlap in functionality. In the compiler we're mostly
> concerned with generating the DWARF, while in dsymutil we try to copy
> everything we don't need to parse, and fix up what we have to. I don't
> want
> to say it's not possible, but I think supporting DWARF5 in those
> classes is
> going to be a lot less work than trying to reuse the CodeGen variants.
I agree, in it`s current state it would be less work to write separate
implementation
than reusing CodeGen variants. The bad thing is that in such a case
there is a lot of
code duplication:

DwarfStreamer::emitUnitRangesEntries
DwarfDebug::emitDebugARanges
EmitGenDwarfAranges
DWARFYAML::emitDebugAranges

Supporting new standard would require rewriting/modification of all
these places. In the ideal world,
having single implementation for the DWARF generation allows changing
one place and having
benefits in others. Probably, CodeGen classes could be rewritten and
then it would be useful
to write them assuming two use cases - generation from the scratch and
copying/updating
existing data. In the end, there would be single implementation which
could be reused in
many places. Though, it is indeed a lot of work.

> > Measurements show that it is spent ~10 sec in
> > llvm::StringMapImpl::LookupBucketFor(). The problem is that the same
> > strings, again and again, are added to the string pool. Two attributes
> > having the same string value would be analyzed (hash calculated) and
> > searched inside the string pool. Even if these strings are already in
> > string table(DW_FORM_strp, DW_FORM_strx). The process could be optimized
> > for string tables. So that if some string from the string table were
> > accessed previously then, it would keep a reference into the string
> pool.
> > This would eliminate a lot of string pool searches.
>
> I'm not sure I fully understand the optimization, but I'd love to
> speed this
> up, if only for dsymutil's sake. I'd love to talk about this in a separate
> thread or offline.

The measurements show that quite a big time is taken
by llvm::StringMapImpl::LookupBucketFor(). i.e. searching inside a string
pool takes a significant amount of time. The idea of optimization was to
reduce the number of string pool searches by remembering previous
results. DW_FORM_strp, DW_FORM_strx forms do not keep string itself
but reference a string from a separate table by index. Currently. if
there are
duplicated strings of DW_FORM_strp, DW_FORM_strx there would be
two/three/...(one per duplicate) searches in string pool
(llvm::StringMapImpl::LookupBucketFor() would be called). If the position
in the pool would be remembered for the index of the first duplicate
then there would not be necessary to call
llvm::StringMapImpl::LookupBucketFor() next times.

But prototyping of that idea did not show any worthful performance
improvement.

Some small performance improvement could be achieved if string pools
would use
llvm::hash_value(StringRef S) instead of llvm::djbHash().

> > Currently, all object files are analyzed sequentially and cloned
> > sequentially. Cloning is started in parallel with analyzing. That scheme
> > could be changed: analyzing and cloning could be done in parallel
> for each
> > object file. That requires refactoring of DWARFLinker and making string
> > pools and DeclContextTree thread-safe.
>
> I'm less familiar with the way that LLD uses the DWARFOptimizer but
> this is
> not possible for dsymutil as it is trying to deduplicate DIEs from
> different
> compile units.
Right. dsymutil is trying to de-duplicate DIEs from different
compile units. That, probably, does not avoid multi-thread implementation:

1. DeclContextTree.getChildDeclContext() should be done thread safe.
     thus, even if CU would be processed in parallel - DIEs could be
de-duplicated
     based on DeclContext.
2. UniquingStringPool and OffsetsStringPool should also be done thread safe.
3. Since compilation units would be processed in parallel -
     the size of the compilation unit would not be known until it is
fully processed.
     That means that all compilation unit's references should be patched
after
     CU content is generated. In the same manner like forward references
     are currently patched(fixupForwardReferences).
4. DWARFStreamer provides a sequential interface. Instead of a single
stream
     as the output, there could be generated several outputs for each CU.
     They would be glued together in the end.

> > I think improving dsymutil is a valuable thing. Though there are several
> > directions which might be considered to make it more robust:
> >
> > 1. support of latest DWARF - DWARF5/DWARF64...
>
> Strong +1 on DWARF5. I haven't had the bandwidth yet to really look at
> this.
> Right now we can't find (at least some) rellocations so we bail out.
> I'd need
> to fix that to assess the current state of things and figure out how much
> work would be needed.
>
> I don't think anything in LLVM supports generating DWARF64 though.
>
> > 2. implement multi-threaded execution.
>
> See my earlier comment. At least for the dsymutil case, the current
> approach
> is the best we can do, but I'd love to be proven wrong. :-)
>
> > 3. support of split DWARF.
> > 4. implement dsymutil for non-darwin platform.
>
> These two seem to go together. Given the work you did to split off the
> DWARF
> optimization part I think we're closer to this than ever. Thanks again for
> doing that.
>
> > We considered three options:
> >
> > 1. add new functionality into dsymutil. So that dsymutil behaves
> > differently on a non-darwin platform and supports another set of
> > command-line options.
> >
> > 2. add new functionality into llvm-objcopy. llvm-objcopy already
> supports
> > various binary objects formats(MachO,ELF,COFF,wasm). It also has several
> > options to work with debug-info.
> >
> > 3. create new utility llvm-dwarfutil which would implement the above
> > functionality and reuse DWARFLinker(extracted from dsymutil) library and
> > new library ObjectCopy(extracted from llvm-objcopy).
> >
> > So far our preference is number three. The reason for this is that
> separate
> > utility specifically working with debug info looks as good separation of
> > concepts. Adding another behavior to dsymutil looks not very good.
>
> In its current state dsymutil itself is a pretty small tool on top of the
> DWARFOptimizer/Linker. I'm curious what the benefits of another tool are
> compared to a different frontend (like objcopy) for MachO and ELF. It
> seems
> like that would allow for separation of concerns, while still being
> able to
> share common code without having to push it all the way up into LLVM.
my concern is that this tool would have different source data and
different set of options.
Having in mind that handling different set of input data and different
set of options
means writing the other frontend - it, probably, would be good not to
make dsymutil more complex but
to create another small tool. But, If extending dsymutil looks OK - I am
OK with it.
Let`s discuss this approach within proposal thread.

> > Extending the already rich interface of llvm-objcopy looks also not very
> > good. Having in mind that actual implementation would be shared by
> > libraries, the separate utility, working specifically with debug info,
> > looks like the right choice. That is our current idea.
>
> > My personal thought would be that extending dsymutil should be ok as the
> > functionality goes well with everything else dsymutil does (other
> than not
> > support ELF which the dsymutil maintainers are on board with last I
> > checked). That said, I definitely think a write-up will be helpful. No
> > matter what I support extracting all of the behavior into libraries and
> > using that somewhere :)
>
> Ha, so basically what I was trying to say above.
>
> I look forward to seeing the proposal!

yep, would publish it soon.

Thank you, Alexey.