[llvm-dev] Discourse category for the AMDGPU target

Nicolai Hähnle via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 4 14:22:32 PDT 2020

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 7:00 PM David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't have much personal interest here - but my understanding was
> that there was/is a fair bit of pushback to fragmenting the
> communications channels to discord before there's a more general
> buy-in to switch over across the project? (perhaps I'm misremembering
> the previous threads about discourse, though - and we have already
> pretty significantly fragmented on the chat-like medium between IRC
> and Discord)

Discourse is really more of an alternative to mailing lists, not to chat.

For what it's worth, the alternatives we've looked at were:

1. Just use llvm-dev. This avoids the fragmentation you mention, but
it was considered undesirable for several reasons:
1.1. Most people watching llvm-dev wouldn't be interested, and we
don't want to increase the noise unnecessarily.
1.2. Some people in the relevant audience expressed that they prefer
not to subscribe to llvm-dev due to its volume, or are worried that
the topics they're interested in would be drowned out in the general
noise.
1.3. Some people in the relevant audience expressed that posting to
llvm-dev can be scary.

relevant audience would be mostly fine with that, but there were two
perceived advantages to the Discourse path:
2.1. If a topic in the amdgpu discussion space come up that turns out
to be interesting to somebody who is not usually following that space,
then the barrier to jumping into that topic is lower on Discourse --
there aren't any issues with posting to a mailing list that one isn't
subscribed to.
2.2. We believe that maintaining a new mailing list is a higher burden
for the LLVM project (I'm happy to be corrected on that point).

Are you saying that you think we should use one of those alternatives,
or do you have yet another alternative in mind?

Cheers,
Nicolai