[llvm-dev] [RFC] DWARF Version 6 Proposal For Heterogeneous Debugging

Scott Linder via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Apr 17 16:10:53 PDT 2020

Hi llvm-dev,

I'm writing on behalf of a team at AMD working on upstreaming support
for AMD GPUs into GDB. We have drafted a proposal of backwards
compatible extensions to DWARF for heterogeneous debugging which is
rendered at
https://llvm.org/docs/AMDGPUDwarfProposalForHeterogeneousDebugging.html.

The proposal includes a thorough introduction with justification, so I
won't belabor that here, but I do want to reiterate that the extensions
are designed to be vendor and architecture neutral, and completely
backwards compatible with DWARF 5.

I am beginning to work on a reference implementation of the proposal in
LLVM, with some very preliminary support appearing in some patches
starting at https://reviews.llvm.org/D76877. Note that most of these
initial patches are AMDGPU-specific CFI changes, and more general
support for the extensions are still a WIP.

I intended to also include the proposal inline, but it appears to be too
large for the list. Instead I will just mention that the source is
available in the llvm-project repo as
llvm/docs/AMDGPUDwarfProposalForHeterogeneousDebugging.rst

Regards,
Scott