[llvm-dev] Scalar Evolution Expressions Involving Sibling Loops

Bardia Mahjour via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Apr 17 08:16:38 PDT 2020

Thanks for sharing the known problem.

I think to solve the problem properly, we need to fully understand why that
assumption about dominance is there and the implications of removing it.

It would be good if you could be more specific about your idea of nullptr
or SCEV_unknown (eg which function would return those values and when), but
returning nullptr from getAddExpr or getSCEVAtScope may be problematic
since they currently return valid pointers all the time and changing that
would be error prone and would increase code complexity. Returning
SCEV_Unknown from getAddExpr would seem plausible except that it would not
allow for expression simplifications where recurrences over non-dominating
loops can get canceled out. Having said that it may still be a reasonable
middle-ground solution.

Philip, do you have any thoughts on that?

Bardia Mahjour