[llvm-dev] What can the optimizer assume about the memory a global function pointer points to?

Johannes Doerfert via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Apr 16 16:31:30 PDT 2020

Hi Manuel,

So I haven't thought about this much but here some initial reactions:

I guess if you want to modify the code of a definition you need to mark
it as `naked` or similar. We analyze the code after all, if it changes
whatever we derived is pretty much wrong. However, you could also not
reliably change the code if we can modify it so to make changes "sane"
you need `naked` anyway.

I don't think the declaration should not be `__attribute__((pure))` ~
`readnone` if its code, can change. One could argue similar to the above
case, e.g., it needs to be `naked` and therefore cannot be `readnone`
(not that we have the restriction). Or one could say you break the
implicit property of `pure`/`readnone` that is used all over the place:
No matter when or where it is called the result is the same.

I agree that the LangRef is pretty light on this topic.

Cheers,

   Johannes