[llvm-dev] Clarifying the supported ways to build libc++, libc++abi and libunwind

Tobias Hieta via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 8 11:51:58 PDT 2020

Hello Louis,

I earlier this week converted our toolchain scripts from a monorepo
build for libc++ to a "standalone build" where I build libunwind,
libc++abi and libc++ in succession instead of one single build. The
only reason I converted to this is because it's the only sane way to
build libc++ for a system without a existing C++ runtime. The problem
is actually not that libc++ depends on a existing C++ runtime - but
rather that CMake testing does.

When running a monorepo build on a system without a C++ runtime it
will fail a lot of tests from HandleLLVMOptions, while the standalone
builds for unwind, libc++abi and libc++ is much simpler and have less
tests I need to force a value for. This way I don't need first add a
c++ runtime.

My scripts are an adoption of mstorsjo's llvm-mingw (his script to
build libc++ for mingw can be seen here:
https://github.com/mstorsjo/llvm-mingw/blob/master/build-libcxx.sh).

I am all for simplifying this build on the other hand - building
libc++ and knowing which of the three should be static or dynamic and
when to use the USE_STATIC_UNWINDER etc is very complex and required a
lot of iterations to get it to work and I am still not sure if I did
the best thing (I ended up with static libc++abi but shared unwinder).

Thanks,
Tobias