[llvm-dev] [RFC] Propeller: A frame work for Post Link Optimizations

Sriraman Tallam via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Sep 28 08:25:02 PDT 2019

On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 10:36 PM Eric Christopher <echristo at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 2:08 PM Sriraman Tallam via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 1:16 PM Eli Friedman <efriedma at quicinc.com>

I did not mean to suggest we should do folding with basic block sections
and I am aware of the issues, though I am not ruling out the possibility.
We had briefly brainstormed this.

AFAICT, Function Sections was not invented to do ICF.  Function sections
was used for linker garbage collection and global code layout and when we
first worked on ICF for gold much later, we found function sections to be
useful without which it would have been much  harder.

> compare bytes. Using function sections can still run into language
> specific problems as well, hence why icf=safe vs icf=all. Though pcc's

Agreed, and I would like to humbly suggest that I added those options to
gold originally and am aware of that.

> recent work helps out a little bit via significant address
> determination in the front end
>  - order files and other similar mechanisms work based on externally
> visible symbols and are fairly straightforward to use in an ABI safe
> way (no function -> function fallthrough for example)
>  - basic block sections can run into the multiple entry point problems
> depending on how they're laid out as well as other ABI and visibility
> issues

> This can likely be done safely, but there are definitely some concerns
> here with how you want to enable the use of basic block
> labels/sections.

I would like to expose basic block sections independently and let me talk
more about one more effort we are trying to do.  Independent of Propeller,
we are looking at a machine learning based approach to do code layout at
link time.  I won't go into the details of the features but having basic
block sections allows us to naturally feed the native object files into a
black box that would try several different reorderings of the sections and
learn a model.  We looked at basic block sections as the building block on
top of which Propeller was built.  I don't think it would be the only
application, just my opinion.

Thanks
Sri