[llvm-dev] Remove obsolete debug info while garbage collecting

Rui Ueyama via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 27 01:46:11 PDT 2019

Alexey,

I'm a bit worried to teach lld about DWARF, as this is something we've been
carefully avoid to do. Linkers are mostly agnostic about the contents of
sections. Sections are basically just bags of bytes, and linkers generally
don't attempt to parse their contents. That being said, we've already
taught lld how to parse (some part of) DWARF to implement --gdb-index and
other features, and because of the nature of DWARF file format it is
unavoidable. So it may be OK to add more code for DWARF dedup, if the
additional complexity is not too much, and the new code is nicely isolated
from existing code. I think I agree with you that linker is perhaps the
best place to drop dead DWARF info. Let me start code review to see how the
code works. Thanks!

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 7:12 AM Alexey Lapshin <a.v.lapshin at mail.ru> wrote:

> [...]
> | C | A +gc-dbginfo+gc-dbgtypes| 10690388 kb |
> |   |                          |              |
> | D | A +fdebug-types-section  |  8006032 kb |
> |   |                          |              |
> | E | D +gc-dbginfo            |  9000872 kb |
> |   |                          |              |
> | F | D +gc-dbginfo+gc-dbgtypes|  8994156 kb |
>

> (though I do think/hope dsymutil's implementation could be
> adapted/generalized to be used in this situation - and I do have concerns
> that doing such non-trivial work at link time might not be a great tradeoff
> because the complexity and memory usage might be more than the savings,
> though I've no certainty one way or the other there)
>

>> On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 7:05 AM Alexey Lapshin <a.v.lapshin at mail.ru>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> 24.09.2019 8:26, Rui Ueyama пишет:
>>>
>>> Hi Alexey,
>>>
>>> Thank you for sharing this proposal. Reducing the size of debug info is
>>> generally a good thing, and I believe you'd see more debug info size
>>> reduction in Rust programs than in C++ programs, because I heard that the
>>> Rust compiler driver passes a lot of object files to the linker, expecting
>>> that the linker would remove most of them, which leaves dead debug info.
>>>
>>> Hi Rui, Thanks!

>>> I believe #1 was added to DWARF5 to make link-time debug info GC
>>> possible, so could you tell me a little bit about why you chose to do #3?
>>> Is this because you want to do this for DWARF4?

>>> also.  The solution added to DWARF-5("E.3.3
>>> Single-function-per-DWARF-compilation-unit" page 388.) is not a complete
>>> solution. This is a recommendation which needs to have an additional
>>> specification.
>>> There is -fdebug-types-section implementation which follows that
>>> recommendation.  Other cases(other than type units) do not easily fit into
>>> this recommendation. There are tables which have a common header. F.e.
>>> .debug_line, .debug_rnglists, .debug_addr. It is not clear how these tables
>>> could be separated between section groups.
>>>
>>> The more important thing is the fragmentation itself. Dividing debug
>>> tables into pieces would increase debug info size.
>>> It also would significantly complicate code working with debug info.
>>> F.e. include/llvm/DebugInfo/DWARF/DWARFObject.h has interface for class
>>> DWARFObject. It currently is not ready for the case when there could be
>>> multiple tables. Patch introducing support for multiple tables would be
>>> massive change affected many places in llvm codebase.
>>>
>>> Another thing is that not only the llvm code base but all other DWARF
>>> consumers should be changed to support fragmented debug info.
>>>
>>> Shortly, if all debug tables would be fragmented then working with debug
>>> info would be significantly complicated.
>>>
>>> Thus the reasons to select #3 are :
>>>
>>> 1. It could be done in a single place, not affecting other parts of the
>>> llvm code base.
>>> 2. It does not require other DWARF consumers to implement support for it.
>>> 3. Avoiding fragmentation would save space.
>>> 4. Processing of not fragmented debug info is faster.