[llvm-dev] [RFC] Propeller: A frame work for Post Link Optimizations

Xinliang David Li via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 26 19:02:50 PDT 2019

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 5:31 PM Sriraman Tallam <tmsriram at google.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 5:13 PM Eli Friedman <efriedma at quicinc.com> wrote:

MIR level transformations are not excluded and can be done in Propeller
framework, just limited to module level optimizations. Anything
Global/Interprocedural needs to happen at (real) link time with assistance
of module level annotations.

> MIR is still one module at a time.  We cannot do inter-procedural
> basic block layout here.  We can do much more advanced stuff at the
> whole-program level in the linker.  The relaxation code is the down
> side.
>
> For more details, We strongly considered this.  We could run something
> like a thin link in thin lto figure out the global layout and hand out
> the relevant  subsets of the global decision  to each module.  This
> looked more complicated and the individual pieces from each module
> should still be globally laid out again by the linker.

This won't work well -- as cross module inlining has not yet happened. Not
only will there be problems with profile annotation, all the profile
context sensitives will be lost.

> This
> constraints us on what we can do for layout and also does not work
> well with future optimizations like global alignment like David
> pointed out.
>

> > Why are you proposing to add a bunch of options to clang to manipulate
> LLVM code generation, given none of those options are actually used for
> Propeller workflows?

Propeller workflows include precise profile annotations, so the options are
used there.

David