[llvm-dev] LLVM building problem

Enrique González via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 19 02:24:24 PDT 2019

Dear all,

I'm using a Virtual Machine with Ubuntu 18.04 at VIrtualBox and I'm trying
to build the LLVM project from https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project.git.

This VM has 6 cores (from an intel core i-7 8th gen), 11GB of RAM and 300GB
of storage (from a 1TB HDD) at a laptop, this is the model: MSI GS63
Stealth 8RE.

Then, I'm doing exactly that this tutorial says to build LLVM:
https://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html

1) Clone the project from git: "git clone
https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project.git".
2) Use cmake at the build directory: "cmake -G 'Ninja' ../llvm".
3) Build the project with ninja: "ninja" (i do not use any flag).

It seems to build well until i reach the final part, where the build try to
link CXX executables. At this point, the VM freeze and I cannot do
anything. I also have tried to expand the SWAP memory creating a second
swap file with 90GB and the VM also freeze.

I have tried this like 20 times and I don't know why this happens, it seems
impossible to build this project. If you have any suggestions, please reply
this post.

Thanks in advance.