[llvm-dev] Vectorizing multiple exit loops

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 17 03:17:56 PDT 2019

Hi Philip,

Apologies for leaving this thread linger so long. It was in my
back-burner but Alex's weekly remind me to reply (thanks again,
Alex!). Starting from the end...

On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 at 18:53, Philip Reames via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Current Plans
>
> At the current moment, I'm reasonable sure that I'm going to get the resources to at least tackle some of the cases where we bail out unnecessarily.  This will be a huge practical improvement in vectorizing robustness, at (I hope) relatively little implementation cost.

This makes a lot of sense to me. It doesn't sound it will need a huge
refactoring to the current code and it can be done in a piece-wise way
so that progress is consistent and non-regressable.

It would be good to know if any of the test-suite benchmarks will be
affected, or if we could insert a new one there, just to keep track of
things.

> I'm also going to continue playing around with enhancements to our current dereferenceability logic.  I see that as being a key building block to make any predication based approach practical.

This is *always* good work. There has been some work in the past to
common up LV with VPLan analysis stages (separating classes, moving
code), and I think if we keep working on the common infrastructure,
we'll benefit more than just LV or VPlan.

> I'm not sure I'm going to get to the predication support.  I'd like to, but am not sure my resource constraints allow it.  I'll also mention that I'm not at all sure how all of this might fit in with the VPLAN work.  I'd really welcome feedback on that; is what I'm proposing at all consistent with others plans?

As I said, the analysis work can play well with VPlan, and if it
doesn't, we can make it work by following the same cleanups that has
been done in the past. These are complementary parts of the work and
it's great you can spend some time on some of it.

> The use cases I'm looking at basically fall into two buckets:
>
> for (int i = 0; i < N; i++) {
>   if (expr(a[i])) break;
>   ... other vectorizable stuff ...
> }
>
> for (int i = 0; i < N; i++) {
>   if (expr(i)) break;
>   ... other vectorizable stuff ...
> }

The safety analysis is different, but the vectorizer would have to
behave similarly on both cases. Specilative loads, boundary
conditions, run time checks (unless the bounds are compile time
constants?).

Doing the latter first would make the second almost *only* about
reference analysis.

> First, there are all the cases where we could have handled the multiple exit loop, but chose not to for implementation reasons.  A great example is:
>
> for (int i = 0; i < N; i++) {
>   if (i > M) break;
>   a[i] = i;
> }
>
> In this case, SCEV can happily compute the actual exit bound of the loop, and we could use the existing vector-body/scalar slow-path structure.  The only change needed would be to exit the vector body earlier.  (There are some details here, but it's almost as easy as I'm describing if my POC patch isn't missing something major.)

If M < N, then this could potentially be converted to iterate over M
and make the loop unconditional, no? I know this is a silly case, but
if a more complex loop simplifies to this one by other optimisations,
this would be a very easy change to make.

We could also look at it from a loop-splitting point of view, for
example the common pattern:

for (i: M) {
  if (a == 0)
    startup(i);
  else
    remainder(i);
}

Or more complicated examples, like matrix operations that are "easy"
in the bulk of it, but complicated (non-vectorizeable) at the edges.
This would probably be something for the VPlan side of things, but
it's good to keep in mind that a simple example can get very
interesting. :)

> // Assume a and b are both statically sized.
> for (int i = 0; i < N; i++) {
>   t = b[i];
>   if (t > M) throw();
>   sum += a[t];
> }
>
> (This is a classic a[b[i]] pattern, but with range checks added.)

This looks like a clear pattern for predicated semantics. :)

In the absence of that, if the condition is simple, we can try
splitting or tail loops, but only predication would give us an extra
mile on preventing speculative loads to crash.

> // assume a[0:N] is known dereferenceable
> for (int i = 0; i < N; i++)
>   if (a[i] == 0) return false;
> return true;
>
> If N is large, and the array is non-zero, then this is profitable to vectorize.  If a[0] == 0, then it isn't, regardless of the value of N.
>
> Figuring out when to vectorize vs not for cases like this will require some thought.  I don't really have a good answer for this yet, other than when the profile on the early exit tells us it's rarely taken.

We can already bail on small constant N, and generally, code that
assumes it's small, usually use it as a constant (like RGB or xyz
handling). In those cases, it may also be profitable to do strided
vectorisation (which we do).

> Third, for both of the former cases, we need to be able to compute exit values along the early exit edges.  We can get a lot of mileage out of simply skipping loops with exit values (i.e. lcssa phis), as our loop exit value rewriting will tend to eliminate them.  However, we will eventually want to handle this case, which will require generating some interesting complicated code down the exit path to figure out which iteration actually exit.

I think getting a real case in the test-suite and make that work would
make a lot of people happy. :)

> 1) Use the vector-body/scalar-body idiom of today, and have the vector body exit with IV = I when any iteration in [I, I+VF-1] would exit.  (i.e. roll back)
>
> 2) Insert dedicated exit blocks which recompute exit conditions to determine exact exit value, and then let the vector body run all iterations in VF which contain the exiting iteration.  (Assumes predicated stores, and that the exit blocks skip the scalar loop)

The second option sounds easier to reason with, but it could also
generate more clutter for other passes to get lost in. I don't have a
strong opinion either, but I would like to limit the damage of the
current vectoriser (to other passes, or itself), if we are to move to
VPlan any time soon.

Thanks for working on this, I think a lot of good stuff will come out of it! :)

cheers,
--renato