[llvm-dev] Changing behavior of lit.py's -v flag

Varun Gandhi via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 11 11:05:48 PDT 2019

Hi,

I think lit.py’s current behavior is somewhat unintuitive in the presence of -v (and not
using -vv), so I’m proposing that it be changed.

Current behavior:
-v: Prints all the substituted lines, not clear which line failed :(
-vv: Prints all the lines up to and including the line that failed :)

Option 1:
-v: Prints only the failing line :)
-vv: Same as today. :)
-vvv (new): Prints all the substituted lines, highlighting* the line that failed :)

Option 2 (less deviation from status quo):
-v: Adopts behavior of -vvv from Option 1. :)
-vv: Same as today. :)

See also: https://twitter.com/brentdax/status/1154955239620956160 <https://twitter.com/brentdax/status/1154955239620956160> (note: my opinion has
changed slightly since my comment there)

Varun

* highlighting — could be bold and/or underlined or something else. Based on some simple
testing on a Mac terminal, this doesn’t break copy-pasting even if you’re using the default
formatting-aware copy-paste.