[llvm-dev] Side-channel resistant values

Finkel, Hal J. via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 12 09:18:21 PDT 2019

On 9/12/19 5:06 AM, David Zarzycki via llvm-dev wrote:
I think adding a builtin to force CMOV or similar instructions on other architectures is long overdue. It’s generally useful, even if one isn’t mitigating speculative execution.

I believe that you can currently get this effect using __builtin_unpredictable in Clang. __builtin_unpredictable wasn't added for this purpose, and it's a hint not a forced behavior, but I believe that it causes the backend to prefer cmov to branches during lowering.

 -Hal