[llvm-dev] Google’s TensorFlow team would like to contribute MLIR to the LLVM Foundation

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 9 15:39:21 PDT 2019

On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 at 22:22, Chris Lattner <clattner at google.com> wrote:
> Including a bunch of content, eg a full langref doc:
> https://github.com/tensorflow/mlir/blob/master/g3doc/LangRef.md

Thanks Chris, that looks awesome!

This one could perhaps be improved with time:
https://github.com/tensorflow/mlir/blob/master/g3doc/ConversionToLLVMDialect.md

Which I think was Hal's point. If we had a front-end already using it
in tree, we could be a bit more relaxed with the conversion
specification.

I remember when I did the EDG bridge to LLVM, I mostly repeated
whatever Clang was doing, "bug-for-bug". :)

A cheeky request, perhaps, for the Flang people: they could help with
that document on what they have learned using MLIR as a front-end into
LLVM IR.

We get some common patterns written down, but also we get to review
their assumptions earlier, and make sure that both Flang and MLIR
co-evolve into something simpler.

cheers,
--renato