[llvm-dev] New floating-point ISA for AI needs compiler

Jerry Harthcock via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 3 17:14:51 PDT 2019

Dear LLVM Developers,

Developed using the “free” version of XILINX Vivado and targeted for
implementation in their Kintex Ultra-class FPGAs, I've recently developed
an new universal floating-point ISA computer that can compute DIRECTLY with
human-readable decimal character sequences (up to 28 decimal digits in
length) and/or binary formats in any combination. It is written in Verilog
RTL and implements in hardware ALL operations mandated by IEEE 754-2008
requiring only one instruction per operation. It's mainly intended for
web-based AI, NN, DL kinds of things.  This new ISA does not employ
“opcodes.”  It does, however, include a REPEAT operator and
auto-post-modify indirect addressing mode, among others.  There are only
four mnemonics.

The purpose of this communication is to let you know about the above ISA
and to see if anyone would be interested in targeting LLVM for this new
ISA. Below are links to the documentation on the new ISA, including the
instruction table for use with a popular universal cross-assembler.

Universal floating-point ISA written description and Figures:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Vu0urSXxnTgXaMd5V7PhKCptc26lE6rD/view

Instruction table for use with Cross-32 Universal Cross Assembler:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yEII3NNUGfu4oM_o47cKpWXC812WXlpK/view

I thank you in advance for your time and kind consideration.

Yours very truly,

Jerry