[llvm-dev] RFC: Updating to CMake 3.15.0

Saleem Abdulrasool via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 30 19:54:00 PDT 2019

For Windows, Visual Studio 2019 currently ships with CMake 3.15.1 in the
installation, so it's effectively a system package.  Chocolatey may be
useful if a newer snapshot is needed of course.

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 9:49 AM David Chisnall via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On 29/10/2019 18:00, Roman Lebedev via llvm-dev wrote:
> > If you require The freshest version of something, it is all but
> guaranteed to
> > be not packaged in distributions, so basically*everyone*  will have to
> > work around the packaging system. If the version is //somewhat// aged,
> > then it is not unreasonable to expect for it to be present in
> > //some// proper packaged form in //most// distros.
> >
> > All that of course does not apply to platforms with no native packaging
> > system (windows?).
>
> 'Everyone' is overstating it a bit.  For the platforms that I use for
> LLVM-related work, the 3.15.4 release of CMake was available via the
> common package system on the following dates:
>
>   - macOS, via Homebrew: 4 October, 2019.
>   - Windows, via Chocolatey: 2 October, 2019
>   - FreeBSD, via the package system on 5 October, 2019
>
> It was tagged on 30 September, 2019 in CMake git (I presume it was then
> immediately released, but the CMake release notes and history page don't
> actually include dates), so that's a time from release to packaging of
> under a week for the slowest platform on that list.
>
> Unless you're planning on moving to the new release on the day of the
> release, it will not be a problem for a large subset of the community.
>
> The question if whether the cost of requiring people on platforms with
> lagging package sets to download a CMake binary or source tarball
> outside of their normal packaging infrastructure is higher than the cost
> of maintaining support for old versions of CMake.
>
> David

Saleem Abdulrasool
compnerd (at) compnerd (dot) org