[llvm-dev] RFC: Updating to CMake 3.15.0

Jordan Rupprecht via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 30 09:37:56 PDT 2019

Previously when we suggested upgrading the documentation buildbots to use a
newer version of recommonmark (see [1], with selected responses in [2],
[3]), the feedback we got was that we should not upgrade the buildbots,
because it would create a requirement on a version of recommonmark that
isn't available in any common package manager. (pip is explicitly mentioned
as not a supported package manager). This was completely understandable,
although very sad, because it limits adoption of markdown in documentation.
We've even reverted some markdown back to rst because of it.

So now I'm confused why we'd be proposing that *everyone* must get download
their own version of cmake (3.15) that no package manager has (e.g. latest
debian repos have 3.13: https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=cmake).
Why not just bump the minimum to 3.10, which seems much more widely
available?

[1] http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2019-June/133038.html
[2] http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2019-June/133068.html
[3] http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2019-June/133075.html