[llvm-dev] Comments on GitHub commits?

Stephan Bergmann via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 30 03:09:00 PDT 2019

You can apparently leave comments on GitHub commits (instead of
commenting at Phabricator, or directly sending a reply to the relevant
commit mailing list and relevant CCs).  I once accidentally did that
myself
(<https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/commit/4a6861a7e5b59be24a09b8b9782255d028e7aade#commitcomment-35540755>)
and now (presumably because I'm member of some GitHub group) got mail
about
<https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/commit/2724d9e12960cc1d93eeabbfc9aa1bffffa041cc#commitcomment-35724925>.

Do we want to allow such comments?

If we do, are intended recipients of such comments (esp. in a case like
mine above, where there was no @... in the comment and I intended to
reach at least the commit's author) reliably informed about them (i.e.,
is it guaranteed that they will receive a mail)?

If we don't, is there a way to block such comments on GitHub (and give a
message about the preferred communication channels)?