[llvm-dev] Where and how to report an optimisation issue that doesn't cause a crash

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 29 11:45:53 PDT 2019

I don't think there's any particular set of recommendations for this
specific missed optimization/issue - are you working in an environment
where memory reads are exceptionally expensive (in comparison to all the
other things that a compiler might optimize code for & might not do so
perfectly (no compiler's perfect, even within the bounds of the language
and non-standard extensions))? I think this falls under the general bucket
of "write code" -> "optimize code". Use profilers, find the hot spots, look
at the code to see if you can make it algorithmically better, look at the
machine code if it comes to that & see if you can tweak the source to get
the assembly you want, or hand-write portions, etc.

2) I'm guessing it's work-in-progress and might not be
production-ready/tested yet