[llvm-dev] Replicate Individual O3 optimizations

Neil Nelson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 24 21:21:43 PDT 2019

Yes, this is another indication that there some processing or bridge in
the clang -O3 compile not so far evidenced as well when compiling with
clang to its IR before the optimization passes.

This may be an issue explained in a yet to be known documentation page.
Or it may be a point at the moment overlooked by the well informed.

An issue being noted here but not well addressed is that a well stated
design of LLVM with its front-ends and back ends is that the front-ends
compile to an IR without optimization that LLVM uses for optimization
and preparation for various back-ends. But that with clang -O3, given
this evidence, we are not easily seeing how the division between the
clang front end and LLVM works, though the assumed design suggests it
should be quite easy.

We should be able to compile with clang to the IR before optimization
and then apply the LLVM optimization separately to obtain the same final
IR as a clang -O3 compile doing both of those. But we are not seeing that.

This also bears on the e2e thread in that this assumed division posits
that the separate clang and LLVM debug sequences can provide a high
reliability since the IR intermediate between the two is not expected to
be that error prone. The errors are expected to be primarily either in
clang in obtaining a correct IR or in opt (LLVM) in optimizing that IR
for the back-end. But since we are not able to identify the IR between
the two under clang -O3 it is a question as to what debug sequence would
handle what we could not identify.

Neil Nelson