[llvm-dev] [RFC] Propeller: A frame work for Post Link Optimizations

Maksim Panchenko via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 21 22:07:43 PDT 2019

Hi Sri,

Thank you for replying to our feedback. 7 out 12 high-level concerns have been
answered; 2 of them are fully addressed. The rest are being tracked at the
following Google doc:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jqjUZc8sEoNl6_lrVD6ZkITyFBFqhUOZ6ZaDm_XVbb8/

To keep the discussion at a high level, I have to reference the LTO vs ThinLTO
comparison since that appears to be the central theme in your response to the
feedback.

Unlike LTO, BOLT does not have to keep the entire program in memory.
Furthermore, as we have previously mentioned, most of the passes are run in
parallel, and the performance scales well with the number of CPUs.

To demonstrate that running BOLT on a hot subset of functions is not just a
speculation, we have prototyped a "Thin" version that optimizes Clang-7 in under
15 seconds using less than 4GB of memory. No modifications to the linker or
compiler were required. And by the way, that appears to be faster than just the
re-linking phase of the Propeller. Larger loads show similar improvements
providing 2x-5x savings over the original processing specs.

Let me reiterate that current BOLT requires large amounts of memory not because
it's a fundamental limitation, unlike LTO. For us, system memory was never a
constraint. The runtime of the application, not BOLT, was the primary goal
during the development.

ThinLTO design solves a real problem and dramatically improves compilation time
even when building on a single node. ThinLTO results provide "end-to-end build
time" comparison to LTO. I've asked you to show a similar comparison for
Propeller vs. BOLT. I haven't seen the results, and I suspect the total overhead
will exceed that of even the oldest non-parallel version of BOLT.

One argument I've heard is that BOLT is not taking advantage of the distributed
build system. That's correct. It does not have to since it does not require to
rebuild the application. In "Thin" mode, the overhead is similar to a regular
linker running with a linker script.

You are right that we do not support debug fission packages. It is unimplemented
for a simple reason: no one asked for it previously. And as we like to say in
the open-source community: "patches are welcome."

Maksim

P.S. We have updated https://github.com/facebookincubator/BOLT with instructions on running BOLT with jemalloc or tcmalloc.