[llvm-dev] How soon after the GitHub migration should committing with git-llvm become optional?

Tom Stellard via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 15 00:14:01 PDT 2019

Hi,

I mentioned this in my email last week, but I wanted to start a new
thread to get everyone's input on what to do about the git-llvm script
after the GitHub migration.

The original plan was to require the use of the git-llvm script when
committing to GitHub even after the migration was complete.
The reason we decided to do this was so that we could prevent developers
from accidentally pushing merge commits and making the history non-linear.

Just in the last week, the GitHub team completed the "Require Linear
History" branch protection, which means we can now enforce linear
history server side and do not need the git-llvm script to do this.

With this new development, the question I have is when should the
git-llvm script become optional?  Should we make it optional immediately,
so that developers can push directly using vanilla git from day 1, or should we
wait a few weeks/months until things have stabilized to make it optional?

Thanks,
Tom