[llvm-dev] contributing llvm-install-name-tool

Alexander Shaposhnikov via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 14 10:34:24 PDT 2019

"There are a few different approaches to implementing this, and I am not
particularly tied to one.  I think that selecting the one that is in the
best interest of the project and the most maintainable long term would be
best"

- I agree.

Regarding the implementation I can imagine different options here, but need
to take a closer look / play with the code a little bit to see how things
work. Hypothetical approaches: (A) build a standalone tool (similarly to
llvm-lipo) (B) extend llvm-objcopy & add a new "driver" (similarly to how
llvm-strip is implemented on top of llvm-objcopy) (in particular,
llvm-install-name-tool would be a symbolic link to llvm-objcopy).  As I've
mentioned above - I need to take a closer look at the code before making a
decision / proposing a solution, there are different considerations on my
mind here, e.g. install-name-tool appears to be simpler than objcopy is,
and probably doesn't require the full power of the mutable model of an
object file (implemented inside llvm-objcopy).

Kind regards,
Alex