[llvm-dev] [Openmp-dev] [cfe-dev] RFC: End-to-end testing

David Greene via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Oct 11 07:01:41 PDT 2019

"Robinson, Paul via Openmp-dev" <openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org> writes:

> David Greene, will you be at the LLVM Dev Meeting? If so, could you sign
> up for a Round Table session on this topic?  Obviously lots to discuss
> and concerns to be addressed.

That's a great idea.  I will be there.  I'm also hoping to help run a
routable on complex types so we'll need times that don't conflict.  What
times work well for folks?

> (1) Executable tests. These obviously require an execution platform; for
> feasibility reasons this means host==target and the guarantee of having
> a linker (possibly but not necessarily LLD) and a runtime (possibly but
> not necessarily including libcxx).  Note that the LLDB tests and the
> debuginfo-tests project already have this kind of dependency, and in the
> case of debuginfo-tests, this is exactly why it's a separate project.

Ok.  I'd like to learn more about debuginfo-tests and how they're set
up.

> (2) Non-executable tests.  These are near-identical in character to the
> existing clang/llvm test suites and I'd expect lit to drive them.  The
> only material difference from the majority(*) of existing clang tests is
> that they are free to depend on LLVM features/passes.  The only difference
> from the majority of existing LLVM tests is that they have [Obj]{C,C++} as
> their input source language.

Right.  These are the kinds of tests I've been thinking about.

                      -David