[llvm-dev] An internet Forum instead of mailing lists?

Joan Lluch via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 8 12:49:00 PDT 2019

Hi David,

That’s interesting, because I have a totally different experience. On a forum, every topic gets its own thread, and replies are always there in order for future reference. Topic categories can be defined which encourage subject classification. Advanced searching helps to find already answered questions, prevent duplicates, and enable the continuation of discussions even years later.
Mails however are always a mess in my mailboxes, because even if filtered, it’s difficult to precisely follow conversation flows or find past topics. Also, the way to keep conversation history is by quoting others, which tends to be inconsistent and has a limit. Maintaining subjects for long is difficult and finding content a pain. To me a proper forum is superior and useful than mailing lists. Or at least based on my past experience.

John