[llvm-dev] An internet Forum instead of mailing lists?

Reid Kleckner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 8 10:38:28 PDT 2019

I think the simplest answer is just "tradition". Most old open source
projects use mailing lists for collaboration. Long time contributors are
used to the current system, and they make it work for them.

Another way to look at it is that the current system suits the needs of
those who communicate on the list the most, and they are the ones who have
the power to advocate for change. As someone who closely follows LLVM
communications, getting email for every new message helps me stay up to
date and makes it easy for me to respond when interested. Maybe if I mainly
studied past llvm-dev emails to find answers, I would prefer a separate web
UI that I could use to search and study LLVM correspondence, but that
probably doesn't describe most of the people that would need to be
convinced to use it.

To fill the gap, there are various services like nabble (I was going to say
gmane, but I guess it's dead). It's less than ideal, but it's what we have.