[llvm-dev] Built in progmem variables in AVR

Mon Nov 25 08:12:56 PST 2019

Sorry if I’m chiming in with an irrelevant comment :) … but placing read only variables (in C, const variables) in program memory/flash is also one of those things that I think has been discussed in fairly great detail by the AVR GCC guys when they were building their original compiler.  I’m pretty sure I remember coming across old threads on this.

They discuss it here: https://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/pgmspace.html <https://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/pgmspace.html>. They are talking about C but it would probably be relevant more generally?

They seemed to have lots of good reasons why it was not optimal compiler design and the person writing the program should explicitly define when a constant should be defined in program memory.

Certainly on the most basic level, for anything except strings, these constants will only amount to a very small proportion of the code size, wouldn’t they?

It makes sense for the frontend to reason about storage if enough is known and I would think the frontend is the right place to add any such logic.

(As an example, in a future version of the swift compiler for targeting AVR, I want to make it automatically intern strings as C strings and add addrspace(1) to them.)

Just my 2 cents worth… I know far less than you guys :)…

Carl