[llvm-dev] [Machine IR] Analyzing Assembly Source Code in MIR passes

Nicolai Hähnle via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 25 05:19:13 PST 2019

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 3:37 AM Lele Ma via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> My goal is to write LLVM Machine IR (MIR) passes to analyze the assembly source code. But it seems I need to find a way to translate the handwritten assembly code into MIR format first.
>
> Is there any materials, or any modules in LLVM source code, that can help to translate assembly code into LLVM MIR for analysis?
>
> Or is there any easier ways to analyze assembly code in MIR passes without translating it?

MachineIR is designed for code generation, not for general assembly
representation. MIR is even not necessarily able to represent all
assembly instructions that a target's hardware supports. The
disassembler produces MCInsts, and if you wanted to go from there back
to MachineIR, you'd have to write your own target-specific code to do
so.

Cheers,
Nicolai

> Best Regards,
> Lele Ma

Lerne, wie die Welt wirklich ist,
aber vergiss niemals, wie sie sein sollte.