[llvm-dev] Using the Yocto Project for Upstream Testing

Nicholas Krause via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 22 12:54:40 PST 2019

On 11/22/19 2:46 PM, David Blaikie wrote:
> Sorry, I'm not sure I follow/understand your email, or what sort of
> replies/responses/discussion you're hoping to get from it - perhaps
> you could rephrase and/or provide more detail?

David,

Sorry its more to give you guys a heads up in case they ask about it
being of interest and know that
its something of interest outside that project.  The Yocto and its
related projects are a embedded build
system. Since its goal is to build the whole custom embedded
distribution I've suggested that they start
testing upstream gcc/llvm.

My reasoning is that while we have a testsuite for both having a
software that builds and supports lots
of real software can be of use. To my knowledge it has the ability to
build over 10000 open source
packages.

Basically the idea is to automate testing of not just the testsuite but
a suite of real software builds
nightly or so as it takes time to build all that software. You can of
course just build one piece of
software and its dependencies separate through.

This is a link to the project:https://www.yoctoproject.org/
And a link to all the recipes for building software it supports that are
upstreamed:
https://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/branch/master/recipes/

The GCC side knows as well but thought I would give you guys the heads
up as well and sorry for not
explaining it better,
Nick