[llvm-dev] llvm-mc & Microsoft's MASM

Tim Northover via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Nov 21 00:25:25 PST 2019

On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 at 22:20, Zachary Turner via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> I don't have a strong opinion on whether it's reasonable to implement llvm-ml this way.  It seems to make sense on the surface, but I'm not well versed in this area so someone else may have stronger opinions than I do.

The main issue is that llvm-mc has been written as a tool for
developers to write tests with rather than users. The user-facing
assembler so far is clang. I suppose he'll be implementing an entirely
new CLI anyway so that gets rid of the main point of tension though;
so it's probably not fatal.

Cheers.

Tim.