[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] RFC: Moving toward Discord and Discourse for LLVM's discussions

Roman Lebedev via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Nov 20 03:04:04 PST 2019

On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 12:18 PM Renato Golin <rengolin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 at 08:44, Whisperity via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> > There *are* open-source Discord clients, 3rd party tools and the like.
>
> This is a big uphill fight that is rarelly worthy. Not to mention
> privacy guarantees and terms and conditions that are not "fixed" by
> OSS tooling.
>
> > The corporation behind Discord is just not authorising you legally to use any of those tools at hand.
>
> That doesn't sound good.
>
> Also, many companies have "approved list" of software, which a "gaming
> chat app" will rarely be.
>
> I'd have to subvert  the private license *and* my company's security
> policies. I can assure you, this won't end well.
>
> Slack isn't much better in general, tbh, but more companies allow them
> on corporate networks.
>
> IRC has a ton of problems, too, but it's our default. We should only
> move to a better tool, not a different tool. We want to bring in new
> people without alienating old people, like me.
>
> Discourse seems to be OSS GPLv2, so we could host our own and apply
> our own CoC / moderating if providers are not able to meet our needs.
> I have real trouble using web BBSs (text ones over dialup were fine),
> so I'd really appreciate an email/subscription mechanism.
>
> If we do select a provider (for Discourse, another or even Stack
> Overflow), we need to make sure we'll always be able to download the
> whole history and move to another service if the terms stop being
> reasonable (or we get tired of it).
>
> This was a big point in using Github (vs. self-hosted): it's git, we
> can move out whenever we want. We should keep that constraint for
> every tool we use.
+1.

All this disscussion is slightly jumbled together,because i think
a move from IRC to discord/slack/etc, and a move from
mailing lists to Discourse, are two *very* different discussions.
I think latter (provided there is still mail integration!) may be
easy to sell. But the choice of tools in former is just a non-starter.

If anything, Matrix.org does indeed seem like an (only) possible
alternative there.

> --renato

Roman