[llvm-dev] RFC: Moving toward Discord and Discourse for LLVM's discussions

David Greene via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 19 08:33:56 PST 2019

Christof Douma via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> writes:

> To add what Chris brought up, besides the licensing of what we say on
> the platform, there is another aspect of T&C that should be
> considered. Discord's T&C allows only non-commercial use, unless
> they've given a written approval. I'm curious if that is going to
> hinder the adoption of Discord for people that are employed by
> for-profit organizations. I'm not a lawyer, so I've no clue how much
> of a problem this is in reality.

Both the non-commercial use restrictions and Discord's T&C would be
non-starters for us.  Matrix/Riot seems like a promising solution.

I am fully in favor of moving to Discourse as long as we have an e-mail
bridge, which in my understanding is easy to do.  Just getting
conversations broken out into sub-topics alone would be a huge increase
in usability.  It would be great if we could do the same for the commits
lists.  Creating multiple Mailman lists for each subtopic is
sub-optimal.  A central go-to place for all topics is essential.

                     -David