[llvm-dev] DW_OP_implicit_pointer design/implementation in general

Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 18 14:06:36 PST 2019

I’ve been reminded of PR37682, where a function with a reference parameter might spend all its time computing the “referenced” value in a temp, and only move the final value back to the referenced object at the end.  This is clearly a situation that could benefit from DW_OP_implicit_pointer, and there is really no other-object DIE for it to refer to.  Given the current spec, the compiler would need to produce a DW_TAG_dwarf_procedure for the parameter DIE to refer to.  Appendix D (Figure D.61) has an example of this construction, although it’s a more contrived source example.

Does it have to be spec’d this way?  I think the spec as given is general enough to support DW_OP_implicit_pointer to an aggregate, with different locations for each member.  You could probably come up with a way to specify simpler cases more simply, although you’d need a new DW_OP to do that—there’s no explicit FORM describing the operand of a DW_OP, so we can’t just mess with how the operands are interpreted.
--paulr