[llvm-dev] MLIR landing in the monorepo

Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 18 13:00:22 PST 2019

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 8:34 AM David Greene <greened at obbligato.org> wrote:

> James Y Knight via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> writes:
>
> > The alternative I had in mind would be to rewrite the commits on the
> branch
> > so that all the files are under an mlir/ subdirectory, and then do a
> normal
> > merge from that.
>
> I just sent a message about import-downstream-repo.py, shown here:
>
> https://github.com/jyknight/llvm-git-migration/pull/6/commits
>
> The default mode of operation does exactly what James says here.  It
> rewrites the commits so all blobs are under a specific subdirectory.
> Then you can do a merge from the rewritten MLIR HEAD.

I used `git-filter-repo`, but that is exactly what I've been doing actually.

> With the --import-list option you can tell the tool to preserve blobs
> from other subprojects alongside the MLIR blobs.  I did not test that
> functionality much, though.
>
> With default operation, a checkout of an early MLIR commit would should
> only an "mlir" directory in the working directory.

Right that what I have right now in the repo, for example:
https://github.com/joker-eph/llvm-project-with-mlir/tree/291a8e7ca113c4a8fc597fc0ec1a3a4e4e639f78

> With --import-list
> you'd see all of the other subproject directories, though the contents
> of those other directories wouldn't change as you walked back through
> early MLIR history.

OK, but that seems like a "wrong" history: the state would seem quite
misleading to me by mixing a recent LLVM with an old MLIR (and the code
wouldn't be able to build successfully at any of these revisions).
Can you clarify why would you prefer this over just a single `mlir`
directory?

Thanks,

--
Mehdi