[llvm-dev] RFC: Moving toward Discord and Discourse for LLVM's discussions

Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 18 10:17:52 PST 2019

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 9:49 AM Sam Kerner via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 2:48 AM Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > Short version:
> > I've set up an LLVM Discord server for real time chat (similar to IRC)
> and an LLVM Discourse server for forums (similar to email lists):
> > https://discord.gg/xS7Z362
> > https://llvm.discourse.group/
> >
> > Please join and use these new services. They are only partially set up
> and still very new, so don't hesitate to improve them and/or reach out to
> this thread with any issues you see or things you want to fix. Also, both
> services have dedicated feedback channels.
> >
> > Do feel free to use Discourse for technical discussions, although try
> not to create duplicate discussions (any more than you would between the
> lists and Bugzilla) and make sure the people you're having the discussion
> with are fine using Discourse instead of the email list. In case Discourse
> doesn't work out, we'll collect and archive everything so it isn't lost.
>
> Are there any existing open source projects that use these systems?
> Do they use them as a substitute for the mailing list, or as a
> supplement for people who wish to avoid email?

I don't know for Discord, but the Swift project is using Discourse:
https://forums.swift.org
They started with a bunch of mailing-lists and migrated to Discourse later,
they imported all the mailing-list archives into Discourse itself I believe.

--
Mehdi