[llvm-dev] RFC: Moving toward Discord and Discourse for LLVM's discussions

Finkel, Hal J. via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 18 08:31:08 PST 2019

On 11/18/19 10:16 AM, Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev wrote:
> Regarding process...
>
>> From: llvm-dev <llvm-dev-bounces at lists.llvm.org> On Behalf Of David
>> Chisnall via llvm-dev
>> While I am in general in favour of creating new channels to extend the
>> reach of the community, I don't believe that something like this that
>> requires existing community members to participate to be useful should
>> be launched without a wider discussion.  This paragraph in your
>> announcement stood out:
>>
>>   > We talked to a bunch of people and looked at the options out there and
>>   > the most promising ones were Discord for chatting and Discourse for
>>   > longer-form discussions.
>>
>> Who are these 'bunch of people'?  Why were they selected to make this
>> decision (and by whom)?
> If this is an LLVM Foundation fiat, we know who the self-selected set are.
>
> If this is supposed to be a community-driven thing, I agree with David.
> This thread is titled as an RFC but it's presented as a fait-accompli.

It's not. This thread is a request for comment. That having been said,
the services were configured so that we all might try them out, and are
encouraged to do so. I, for one, have not used either one previously, so
I think that will be helpful for me in forming an opinion on them. One
thing, however, that is important to me is that Discourse has email
integration:

https://discourse.mozilla.org/t/how-do-i-use-discourse-via-email/15279

and I'll want to see how well this really works.

  -Hal

> --paulr

Hal Finkel
Leadership Computing Facility