[llvm-dev] [RFC] High-Level Code-Review Documentation Update

James Henderson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 18 02:29:30 PST 2019

> Only a single LGTM is required.  Reviewers are expected to only LGTM
> patches they're confident in their knowledge of.  Reviewers may review
> and provide suggestions, but explicitly defer LGTM to someone else.
> This is encouraged and a good way for new contributors to learn the code.

Whilst I get what you're trying to say, I'm not particularly comfortable
with this particular suggestion as it stands: I regularly am one of two or
three active reviewers on something, often spread out over different
timezones, and I might be happy with it, in which case I'd signal that with
an LGTM, but others might not be ready for it to be committed. Sometimes
I'll ask for the author to wait to commit until one or more of the other
reviewers are happy too, but other times I forget to explicitly say this.
Perhaps a couple of sentences could be added to the end of this paragraph
to capture this approach:

"If multiple reviewers have been actively reviewing the patch, it is
generally courteous to allow all of them a chance to give their LGTM before
committing, after one LGTM has been received. The reviewer who gives the
original LGTM may suggest an appropriate amount of time to wait before
committing in this case."

What I want to avoid is me (UK timezone) making some suggestions on a patch
proposed by someone e.g. in the US, then a reviewer from the US getting
into an active discussion, proposing a counter-suggestion, which gets
adopted and LGTMed by that reviewer, resulting in a commit before I've had
a chance to follow up on my comments etc. Obviously I can make post-commit
requests, but sometimes it feels like the bar for suggestions post-commit
is higher, and therefore my comments might not reach that level etc.

James