[llvm-dev] RFC: token arguments and operand bundles

Jameson Nash via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 15 13:58:01 PST 2019

Hi Simon! Yep, I too much appreciate that you asked for discussion. I'm
hope I'm not giving you more than you bargained for! (I likely wouldn't
have seen this otherwise until the next LLVM release)

Yep, I think we're on the same page about the expectations of these
operands. I'm aware that the user and/or front-end needs to also explicitly
set the state.

Yes, we use IRBuilder. But that's not problem. The problem is that it
assumes that all front-ends want to maintain this information as global
lexical state until llvm lowering. That's OK for clang, since it doesn't
currently do optimizations on an intermediate IR. But I'm arguing that it'd
be easier for other front-ends to pick up this work too if LLVM uses the
regular call-argument channel for this information. Currently, it seems it
expects that all front-ends will do some sort of legalization and move this
information into some sort of a side-channel (as we know that C99 currently
specifies). That's doable, it'd just be nicer if that was buried inside the
llvm optimization passes that already know about it.

>  As such there is little value in allowing variable exception/rounding
mode params for the contrained fp intrinsics - LLVM passes wouldn't
understand them (in all but trivial cases) and would have to assume the
worst case (dynamic/strict) anyway.

We may have to agree to disagree here, but this is exactly what I'm asking
for LLVM to do. I don't want LLVM to complicate life just because all
optimizations might not be applicable sometimes. There's lots of
optimizations that might not be applicable, and I want to avoid coding in
the exceptions in my frontend if I don't need to.

I'm not familiar enough with IEEE 754 to know if it specifies behaviors for
the representation in the middle-end. I thought it talked more about
allowable optimizations and required features than specific representation
questions. Cherry-picking text, perhaps the closest to my argument would be
the sentence in 4.2 that the "user can specify that the attribute parameter
[from a] variable." It's not really saying that you have to be able to pass
this in as a variable, but I'm going to pretend that I can make that claim
anyways, haha.

> uses the information it finds there to change the rounding mode operand
in the first fadd to rmTowardZero

That sounds neat. I don't think it should conflict with passing in the mode
as a variable though. Since the langref says the value must agree with the
current mode, I think it'd still be legal optimization to replace the
argument value with a more precise one (either Value->Constant, or
dynamic->known, or perhaps even replace it with undef if it sees that the
mode must be wrong). If you don't think that's legal though, that would
lend credibility to the need to use a custom token representation in an
operand-bundle.

Also, I thought Simon seemed to be saying this analysis pass wouldn't be
legal ("there is no going back from dynamic fpexcept/fpround to
constants"), but I think I must have misunderstood him, since I don't think
that's what he meant.

> To me it seems constant tokens do the job just fine without the need for
a custom code path.

I guess I would have called custom tokens a custom code path too. I don't
think it's a question about whether we need represent this custom
information—we clearly do—just at which places in the pipelines and
representations should there be customizations to hold the information.

Best,
Jameson