[llvm-dev] Enable Contributions Through Pull-request For LLVM

Shoaib Meenai via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 11 09:08:24 PST 2019

Is there a reason to not just use arcanist instead of dealing with patch files manually? The PHP requirement is a bit annoying, sure, but that should be available via package manager, and then it's just a matter of cloning two git repositories, modifying your PATH/setting up an alias, and then you're good to go (and all of that is just a one-time setup and not something you should need to worry about ever again). Some package managers even package arcanist directly; I know Nix does.

On 11/9/19, 12:47 AM, "llvm-dev on behalf of Tim Northover via llvm-dev" <llvm-dev-bounces at lists.llvm.org on behalf of llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

    On Fri, 8 Nov 2019 at 16:15, Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev
    <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
    > Sorry but pull request and forks are strictly less overhead process wise, especially compared to working with patches.

    I agree with this, and in general am definitely in favour of pull
    requests. Wrangling patch files manually is just so clunky compared to
    everything else I do in LLVM.

    Cheers.

    Tim.