[llvm-dev] Enable Contributions Through Pull-request For LLVM

David Greene via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 8 08:28:41 PST 2019

Daniel Sanders via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> writes:

> Personally, I'd like us to drop the linear history requirement but I
> know there's some strong opposition there. The main reason I'd like us
> to accept non-linear history in conjunction with pull requests is that
> it means that the commits that were tested (whether by the author or
> by CI) still exist in the repository after the merge. If we
> rebase+push like we do today or squash+merge as in this proposal, then
> the information that a particular commit passed testing (or failed a
> particular test) gets lost.

-1 from me.  We have one project where we decided to "keep the original
commits" as you say above and another where we enforce linear history.
The linear history project is *much* easier to follow.  With merge
commits you start running into issues like foxtrot commits
(https://blog.developer.atlassian.com/stop-foxtrots-now) and the whole
thing easily becomes a mess.  There may be various rules/plugins/etc.
that attempt to enforce "good" behavior but in the long run my
experience has been that simpler rules make things simpler.

                     -David