[llvm-dev] Enable Contributions Through Pull-request For LLVM

Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 8 08:15:16 PST 2019

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 8:08 AM Philip Reames <listmail at philipreames.com>
wrote:

> Very strong -1 at the moment.  I think we need to let some of the other
> efforts (e.g. issues vs bugzilla) settle out first.

Sorry I really don’t see a relationship with issues, this seems entirely
independent to me. I even actually see this as easier than issues.

Weak -1 in general.  I'm not strongly opposed, but I see very little value
> in this migration and a lot of headache.  Others have explained this well,
> so I'll mostly skip that.

I am not sure what « headache » your referring to at the moment.

  I particular dislike the assumed fork model; I work in patches, so that's
> a ton of overhead process wise.

Sorry but pull request and forks are strictly less overhead process wise,
especially compared to working with patches.
What you’re writing comes across to me as « not having switched to git yet
».

This is also the reason why we need months of trial for everyone who hasn’t
used it extensively before to be able to give it a complete and honest try.

Again I’d be perfectly happy to be ginea pig in our sub-project as well to
begin with: it may even bring people to contribute just for trying
pull-requests :)

—
Mehdi

One exception for me would be docs.  If we could open pull requests - and