[llvm-dev] How to avoid or remove llvm.dbg.value?

Tim Northover via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 8 07:05:08 PST 2019

Hi Alberto,

On Fri, 8 Nov 2019 at 06:59, Alberto Barbaro via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Is there any way for avoiding to use llvm.dbg.value within a bc file?

They're part of LLVM's representation of debugging information (as you
may have guessed). So if compiling with Clang you can just not pass -g
and you won't get any (or override with -g0 if your build system
already adds -g and it's inconvenient to avoid that). Other front-ends
will have similar options I expect.

> If not, once I have the bc how can I remove all the occurrences?

You can run "opt -strip-debug" will remove it in that situation.

Cheers.

Tim.