[llvm-dev] Enable Contributions Through Pull-request For LLVM

Alex Denisov via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Nov 7 01:44:09 PST 2019

Huge +1 from my side.

There are couple of small patches I want to submit, but the fact that I need to deal with phabricator just stops me from doing this.

Looking at the other comments against this step I'm wondering if the goal of the project is to keep existing (dozens?) contributors happy, or to embrace more (hundreds?) people to join the project?

=====

I'd love to leave some comments on other comments as I've been using Github for OSS/Commercial development for many years now and I find it to be one of the best things that can happen to an open source project.

> "Github UI is ugly/slaggish/bad"

that's obviously subjective, and I can only say the same about phabricator.

> Geopolitics/laws/whatnot

this is orthogonal to the subject, right?

>  There is no way to see previous version of the patch.
>  I don't think there is any way to disable force-push for PR's.
>  While this is only 'slightly' limiting for the reviewer,
>  this can be more limiting for the author - how do i go back
>  to previous revision? I can't, i need to maintain a copy
>  of every branch i pushed manually.

Seeing previous version is only possible if the author uses different commits, but is it not possible to enforce it.
Force pushes can only be disabled per repo, so if we allow to submit PRs without forks, then it is possible to solve this issue as well.

>  Impossible to chain reviews - a PR diff can only be made
>  on top of git master branch.

This is also true only for forked repositories.
Though, imo, chained PRs (feature branch based development) contradicts to the trunk-based approach LLVM project is using.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

>  Just recently I submitted a very tiny PR for PcapPlusPlus on GitHub
>  which involved:
>  1). Forking the repository
>  2). Cloning the fork
>  3). Applying the patch
>  4). Pushing it and creating a PR.
>  5). Deleting the fork (Since I didn't want it cluttering up my account
>  and I'm not a regular contributor to PcapPlusPlus).

2) and 3) are not necessary since the repo can have multiple remotes.
For some very simple cases one doesn't even need to leave github UI: it is possible to send patches right from the website.