[llvm-dev] RFC: On non 8-bit bytes and the target for it

Chris Lattner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 5 21:52:50 PST 2019

On Nov 4, 2019, at 4:00 PM, James Molloy via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> We'd be keen to help out what the community decides to do here. I personally feel it's reasonable that:
>   - LangRef/DataLayout is updated with semantically coherent changes.
>   - The midend optimizer is updated by someone who cares about those changes and tests are added that use the new DataLayout.

This makes perfect sense to me - if you want the mid-level optimizer to be aware of this, then it makes sense for it to be part of DataLayout.

Question though: given that approach, wouldn’t that make this whole thing in-tree-testable?

What would not be testable given the appropriate data layout extensions?

-Chris