[llvm-dev] RFC: Updating to CMake 3.15.0

Saleem Abdulrasool via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 5 08:42:13 PST 2019

I realize that this seems like a dumb question, and it’s only a matter of
perception, but, what’s the difference between a bootstrap script and a
copy-paste-able command in the documentation?  Would that be sufficient to
reduce the barrier to entry?

On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 9:39 AM David Blaikie via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 9:34 AM Chris Bieneman via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure what benefit that would provide. For most developers they
>> already have configured build directories
>>

> While I agree adding a bootstrap script is probably not worth the cost -
> an/the important benefit wouldn't be to existing developers, but to making
> the barrier of entry lower to encourage new contributors, I think.
>

>> and if their CMake is too old they are going to do a `git pull` and all
>> of a sudden their build fails to configure. Then they go fetch a new CMake.
>> Not sure a bootstrap script really helps with that. Especially since the
>> CMake git repository contains one, and many people might prefer to grab a
>> binary distribution rather than build their own.
>>
>> -Chris
>>
>> On Nov 4, 2019, at 9:29 AM, Stephen Neuendorffer <
>> stephen.neuendorffer at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Maybe a bootstrap.sh?  I understand that it can get a little tricky, but
>> even if it only worked 95% of the time it might be enough to lower the
>> barrier to entry.
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 9:16 AM Chris Bieneman <chris.bieneman at me.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> CMake doesn’t have the ability to reliably re-invoke itself in a way
>>> that would make that workflow reasonable. To do it would require a meta
>>> build system for our meta build system, and that is the road to madness.
>>>
>>> -Chris
>>>
>>> On Nov 4, 2019, at 8:59 AM, Stephen Neuendorffer via llvm-dev <
>>> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>>

>>> Since it's 'so easy', I wonder if it would make people's lives easier to
>>> add a bootstrap of cmake to the out of the box build flow.
>>> Maybe: "You're system Cmake is too old for us.  Downloading and building
>>> a cmake 1.15.1 locally for you...."
>>>
>>> Steve

Saleem Abdulrasool
compnerd (at) compnerd (dot) org