[llvm-dev] RFC: On non 8-bit bytes and the target for it

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 4 12:15:45 PST 2019

On Sat, Nov 2, 2019 at 12:45 AM Jorg Brown via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 8:40 AM Adrian Prantl via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> > On Nov 1, 2019, at 3:41 AM, Dmitriy Borisenkov via llvm-dev <
>> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>> > It seems that there are two possible solutions on how to move forward
>> with non 8 bits byte:
>> >
>> > 1. Commit changes without tests. Chris Lattner, Mikael Holmen, Jeroen
>> Dobbelaere, Jesper Antonsson support this idea.
>> > James Y Knight says that at least magic numbers should be removed "at
>> least where it arguably helps code clarity". This might be not exactly the
>> scope of the changes discussed, but it's probably worth do discuss code
>> clarity having concrete patches.
>> > GCC (according to James Y Knight) has the same practice meaning non-8
>> bits byte is supported but there are no tests in upstream and we have
>> downstream contributors who will fix the bugs if they appear in the LLVM
>> core.
>> > David Chisnall raised a question about what to count as a byte (which
>> defines the scope of the changes) and we suggest to use all 5 criteria he
>> granted:
>> specific address space.
>> > But if DSPs are less restrictive about byte, some of the criteria could
>> be removed.
>> >
>> > 2. Use an iconic target. PDP10 was suggested as a candidate. This
>> opinion found support from Tim Northover, Joerg Sonenberger, Mehdi AMINI,
>> Philip Reames. It's not clear though does this opinion oppose upstreaming
>> non-8-bits byte without tests or just a dummy and TVM targets options.
>> >
>> > So if there is no strong opposition to the solution 1 from the people
>> supporting an iconic target option, we could probably move to the patches.
>>
>> I'm in camp (2). Any changes that are not tested are an invitation to
>> upstream developers to "simplify" the code, not knowing that those changes
>> are important. Anyone who commits untested changes to LLVM will inevitably
>> face an uphill battle against benevolent NFC refactorings that break these
>> changes because the expectation of how the code is supposed to behave is
>> not codified in a test. In the short term option (1) sounds more appealing
>> because they can start right away, but I'm going to predict that it will be
>> more expensive for the downstream maintainers of non 8-bit targets in the
>> long term.
>>

> I've worked on multiple codebases where an option existed in order to
> satisfy an extremely small userbase, with little or no testing,

In those situations, were the core developers responsible for those
features/users? Yeah, if I needed to support a certain observable feature
of clang continuing to work, I'd want tests (I'm pretty serious about
testing, FWIW).

> and as such, I'm adamantly opposed to repeating it.

In addition to what Adrian said, where the weird option exists but is
> constantly being incidentally broken, I've seen the opposite problem:
> people become afraid to refactor a section of code because it might break
> the weird option.  You might say "if there aren't any tests, people should
> feel free to refactor the code; their only responsibility is to make sure
> the tests will still work", but honestly, I've seen the opposite: without
> tests, it's just presumed that touching certain parts of code is likely to
> break things, and so after a time, an aura of untouchability starts to
> surround regions of the code.  And then, the more time goes by, the more
> that code becomes unfamiliar to everyone (because no one is actively
> maintaining it).  In the long run, the cost of an unmaintained option may
> be far more than the cost of a maintained one.

I'm not actually opposed to this situation - LLVM as a project is pretty
happy about making big structural changes to the codebase & holding the
test coverage and downstream users accountable for ensuring quality. We
rarely avoid changes due to risk of breakage & as a community push back a
fair bit on reviewers suggesting we should - if someone can't demonstrate
the breakage in an upstream test (or has a pretty good track record of true
positives that may take some time to investigate - and thus it might be
better in the short term to revert while waiting for that evidence to be
provided) the changes tend to go in and stay in.

Yeah, I think some parts of the code may become complicated enough to
warrant separate testing - but most of the code that might move to
constants for byte width, iterate over bits to that byte width, etc, will
be tested on one value & might have bugs on other values that will be found
(or not) downstream - best effort and all. But in cases where the code to
handle novel byte widths becomes more complicated - some abstraction and
unit testing would seem quite appropriate.

> In short: please don't commit changes without tests.  Even if the test is
> nothing but making sure this works:
>
> int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
>   return argv[argc - 1][0];
> }
>
> That at least would give some freedom from the guilt of breaking something
> important.

It's hard to make sure that works in a meaningful sense in this context -
without a non-8-bit-byte target in upstream LLVM, which is the point of
contention/discussion. It's unclear if there's a suitable target/community
to provide/maintain such a target upstream. I don't think there's a
"cheap"/stub/trivial target we could create that would provide what you're
suggesting without bitrotting quickly and being removed (more quickly than,
I think, the sort of patches to support but not provide, non-8-bit-byte
targets).

Though it's hard to guess without seeing the sort of patches that'd be
needed.

- Dave