[llvm-dev] Debugging clang with debugger breakpoints ?

Joan Lluch via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 4 12:02:06 PST 2019

Hi All,

I want to understand some parts of ‘clang' by setting debug breakpoints.

I have successfully done so with “llc” but I found that debugger breakpoints do not work for ‘clang’

The apparent cause is that the clang code is run as a child process which is created in the ‘Execute' function of ‘Program.inc'. The debugger stops fine at breakpoints set on the main thread, but breakpoints do not work for any code that is executed as the child process. I am compiling with Xcode in case this makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for any help.

John