[llvm-dev] RFC: Implement the Waymarking as an independent utility

Ehud Katz via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 4 09:57:20 PST 2019

Hello devs,

I am proposing to export the Waymarking algorithm from the `Use` class to
an independent utility. This is useful for using it in other places, if
needed.

I have created a review https://reviews.llvm.org/D69332, but I think it
should have been more appropriate to start from the llvm-dev mailing list
(too late for that - sorry about that, I am a new contributor).

The patch in the review, is an implementation that I am using for quite
some time, for a personal project. Its need came from the requirement to
use the algorithm for other purposes than the `Use` class.

I thought it could benefit others as well.
In any case, such a general algorithm deserves to be in the ADT library and
not embedded into a specific usage. This way we also separate those logics
from the `Use` class.

Note that, this is an improved version of the waymarking algorithm
currently present - which combines the STOP flag with the Offset's digits.
Further explanation available in the header file, attached in the patch for
review.

Please share your thoughts about it.

Thanks,

Ehud.