[llvm-dev] Delinearization validity checks in DependenceAnalysis

Michael Kruse via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 24 12:54:38 PDT 2019

[CC bollu, mferguson, shil]

Am Do., 23. Mai 2019 um 17:13 Uhr schrieb Bardia Mahjour <
bmahjour at ca.ibm.com>:

> Thanks David and Michael for the clarification.
>
> I think I understand the rational behind those checks in delinearization
> now.
>
> > Some other languages have stronger guarantees about their array
> dimensions accesses being in range. But this being a flat C array, there is
> nothing out-of-bounds going on.
>
> Hmm...perhaps some information about these guarantees can come from the IR
> that the front-ends produce. I'm wondering if the 'inrange' keyword (or
> maybe a new keyword) can be used for this purpose?

If the source is C/C++, the inrange keyword cannot be used because of the
language's semantics (see below).

Also, GetElementPtr will always only work with constant-sized array. A
student from last year's GSoC (CC'd) is working on such an extension (with
intended use by Chapel).

I had a discussion about this syntax with some C standard experts and there
> seems to be disagreements on whether an out-of-bound access with respect to
> an individual dimension is defined behaviour or not. I do not mean to start
> that discussion here, especially because there may be code in the field
> relying on certain interpretation of the standard, but just want to mention
> that option-control maybe a good way to deal with complications like this.

For clarification: In C, subscripts themselves have no semantics, they are
defined as syntactic sugar:

C18, 6.5.2.1,  ยง2
> The definition of the subscript operator[] is that E1[E2] is identical to(

Using arithmetic properties, &A[1][0] == (char*)A + 2 == &A[0][2] (for an
array declared "*char* A[2][2]"). The indirection operator (*) is only
undefined if it yields to an access to an invalid address (C18, note 104).

Michael