[llvm-dev] [sanitizers][windows] adding RtlAllocateHeap interception

Matthew McGovern via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 23 11:52:36 PDT 2019

Windows sanitizer community,

I have a patch to add interception for the Rtl*Heap family of allocation functions. The change  requires some additions to the existing regular Heap* interceptors since we are now also dealing with allocations that were created very early on during initialization.

The current source code mentions why this isn't ideal:

// We don't currently intercept all calls to HeapAlloc. If we did, we would have to check on
// HeapFree whether the pointer came from ASan or from the system.

SO... We implemented it and it does get sort of gross, especially in the ReAllocate case. There's also the issue of RtlSizeHeap and RtlReAllocateHeap being undocumented (for now). Some  Rtl*Heap functions are documented in the Windows Driver development kit and it's possible that we can have ReAlloc and Size added.

Because of all the previously mentioned issues I would like to add this interception code behind a preprocessor macro. I'm guessing everyone will not neccesarily need it and the code will introduce a performance penalty when enabled.

Does the community have any input before I push this patch out for review? Do you think there is a better approach for hiding this code, do you think it should be a runtime option instead? Is there anyone opposed to having this in the compiler-rt windows source for some reason I haven't considered?

Thank you all for your time and input,

Matthew G McGovern | Security Software Engineer
Microsoft COSINE | Platform Security and Vulnerabilty Research
One Microsoft Way | Redmond, WA 98052